Still Alice - Film Review || Blogmas Day 10




I finished watching this film 20 minutes ago and I could not resist the urge to review it. This is by no means a new film, it came out in 2014 and many of you have probably already seen it as it got so many awards - which were absolutely well deserved.

Alice Howland was a professor of linguistics in Columbia University and she started noticing that something felt very off around her 50th birthday, so she went to a neurologist to find out what was wrong and after some time they found that she has familial early onset Alzheimer's. This form of the illness progresses very quickly and so the film shows her rapid deterioration and her struggles.

Honestly, this film is brilliant. I saw it on HBO Go in the This Week Only section and I decided to watch it and I am so happy I did. It is scary to think how many things we get for granted - especially our minds. Julianne Moore's performance was powerful and I recommend everyone watches this film as a reminder of how much we have and how much we can lose, and also to bring more awareness for Alzheimer's disease. 

I am embarrassed to admit that despite my fascination with this disease I know very little about it and I realized that I should probably look into it since a form of it has affected someone in my family. The film is very powerful, interesting and touching and I would definitely watch it again and also read the book (which I will definitely also review).

My rating of this film: 5/5